Masters/Bridge Graduate Programs


Graduate Programs in US Offering Terminal Masters Degrees


Physics & Astronomy

Physics (limited Astronomy)

Bridge to Ph.D. Programs

Masters (and PhD) programs outside the US

Outside the US, you must complete a Masters degree before you can start a PhD. Below is a list of some universities with astronomy and astrophysics groups that offer MScs (and PhDs). At many Canadian universities, it's possible to fast-track to the PhD program after a successful first year in the MSc program, so that you don't receive an MSc and take only 5 years total for a PhD (instead of 2 years for an MSc and 4ish years for a PhD). However, anyone applying with a Bachelors degree must start with a Masters.

In most programs you will be required to pay your own tuition out of your teaching/research stipend or fellowship (though tuition is an order of magnitude lower than it is in the US), so check with current graduate students that you'll be able to live on your net income. Some universities have fees for international students that make this net income unliveable, so negotiate to have this international fee difference covered by the department or your supervisor's grants. The department will help you figure out which visa you need for the program if you aren't a citizen of that country; you will likely be on a student visa, which means you cannot have side-jobs in addition to teaching and research duties.

Canada, in English

Canada, in French





In Germany, a Masters degree is the default degree obtained before starting a (3-year) PhD. Some universities offering a Masters program in astrophysics in English are:

For historical reasons, most universities will offer a Masters in physics with a focus on astrophysics - different name, same thing. Examples are:

  • Friedrich Alexander University (Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany) -- get in touch with people from the Remeis observatory if interested
  • Hamburg University (Hamburg, Germany)
  • Heidelberg University (Heidelberg, Germany) - excellent undergraduate and graduate research opportunities; Heidelberg University also offers an international graduate school (IMPRS, https://www.imprs-hd.mpg.de/ for PhD students), admission is typically with a MSc, but also admission with a BSc is possible for exceptional candidates. The IMPRS PhD program comes with a generous stipend (>1500 Euro/month) and tuition fees are very low (~300 Euro/ year).

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) has an overview of (most? all?) programs that you can click your way through to individual programs.

Page last modified on Thursday 25 of January, 2024 08:17:39 EST