Summer Internship Advice and Opportunitites
List and Advice from Cornelia Lang
NASA has a ton of student opportunities, for kids as young as 9th grade through grad school, including everything from remote mentorship programs through summer jobs.
- listing of camps from Sloan Career Cornerstone — includes lots of Astronomy things, such as one at Caltech and Sally Ride camps
- Astronomy Camp - Run by the Steward Observatory in Tucson, there is a beginning camp for younger teens on Mt Lemmon and an advanced camp on Kitt Peak where students write proposals and carry out projects on the telescopes.
- Summer Science Program - accepts rising juniors and seniors in California and New Mexico. Emphasis on calculus, computer science, physics, and astronomy in the context of observing asteroids for writing orbit determination software.
- MIT has a list of summer programs including RSI, WTP (for women), and MITES (for minorities)
In the US
- NSF Listing of Astronomy REU sites - Eligibility: freshmen, sophomore, or junior undergraduates. US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Internships at NASA Centers.
- Caltech and JPL SURF Program.
- STScI Summmer Program- Includes education and public outreach in addition to research and also possibly open to grad students.
- USNO Internships
- NRAO summer student program: includes REUs, non-REU programs for undergraduates and graduating college seniors, and graduate students
- Google Summer of Code - Internships with projects like Astropy, Sunpy, and yt.
- LPI Summer Interns in Planetary Science- upper division undergraduates
- LPI Lunar Exploration Summer Intern Program- grad students and upper division undergraduate students
- NIST SURF in Boulder, CO or Gaithersburg, MD- undergraduates
- Physics REU at TCU (some astronomy projects available)
- Physics REU at University of Minnesota (has had astronomy projects in the past, also does space physics)
- Physics REU at Notre Dame (astronomy projects available, as well as nuclear astrophysics)
- Leadership Alliance - Summer research opportunity at lots of different schools that have astro programs. Includes Columbia, Princeton, CU-Boulder, Chicago, JHU, UMaryland, Yale, to name a few. Eligibility: US Citizens or permanent residents, undergraduate sophomores and juniors who bring diversity to academic study by reason of their culture, class, race, ethnicity, background, work and life experiences, skills and interests.
- CUREA, Undergraduate Observational Program in Astrophysics at Mount Wilson Observatory.
- Society of Physics Students SPS Summer Interships, including Mather Policy Intern program.
- Department of Energy Student Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (DOE SULI), includes astronomy research opportunities.
- Keck Northeast Astronomy Consortium (KNAC) - Research opportunities for students in astronomy and physics at small, liberal arts colleges in the northeast US.
- Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) Physics and Astronomy REU: Focus on providing research experiences to undergraduates who have either not had a research experience or are at an institution where research opportunities are not available for undergraduates. US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Dorrit Hoffleit Undergraduate Research Scholarship: Yale is offering a small number of summer reseach positions for undergraduates
- Astronomy Outreach Internships at Bryce Canyon National Park: 12 week summer internship designed to be similar to an REU but with outreach as the primary goal. Funded by NSF.
Outside the US
- Cormack Vacation Research Scholarships (Scotland, undergraduates)
- ANU Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics Summer Research Scholarships (Australian & NZ undergrads)
- ASTRON/JIVE summer student programme (undergrads & grads)
- Australian Astronomical Observatory Student Fellowship Program (undergrads from Australia-summer; undergrads from UK and other countries- winter)
- Australian Gemini Undergraduate Summer Studentships (undergrads from Australia)
- Google Summer of Code - Internships with projects like Astropy, Sunpy, and yt. Available to students all over the world.
- RISE (German program for undergrads from US, UK, Canada, and some European countries)
- Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center (Warsaw and Torun, undergraduates)
- Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics (Taipei, undergraduates)
- Leiden/ESA Astrophysics Program for Summer Students (LEAPS; The Netherlands, undergrads & grads)
- ThinkSwiss (Switzerland, undergrads & grads)
- Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias
- University College Dublin (Ireland, undergrads)
- European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) Trainee Project (Spain, undergrads & early masters)
- Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center (Poland, undergrad upperclassmen)
- Royal Astronomical Society Undergraduate Research Bursaries (applications must come from undergraduate's supervisor)
- ASTRON/JIVE Summer Student Programme (Netherlands, undergrad)
- University of Leicester SURE Summer Program (Great Britain, undergrad)
Workshops/ Summer Schools
See the list on the Workshops page.